Thursday, June 21, 2007

weird

So I went to a wedding last Saturday with a friend of mine. It was pretty low key. At the house in the very casual clothing. Still, it was really nice. My friend, Stacey, was one of the bridesmaids so she was tending to the bride. Meanwhile, I was chatting with some folks there. Crazy enough, this one guy there was ripping on Chinese people and Asians in general. I think he was making fun of how a Chinese couple at a store or restaurant they went to talked. Obvoiusly, he didn't know that I am Chinese, but that's not even the point.

Yes, in many ways race and ethnic relations in the U.S. are improving, but racism still very much exists. It kind of caught me off guard because it really didn't happen to me much growing up. It's just ignorance. Maybe he thought that all Chinese people in the U.S. speak like that? He even asked me if I was Chinese! I didn't really say anything, mainly because the only person I knew there was tending to the bride. And I'm not saying that was right or wrong- just how I felt at the time. Anyways, cannot change what happened now. It's best now just to let it go.

No comments: